Before telling you about my experience, I’d like to make sure that we’re on the same wavelength. If you agree with the points below – continue reading; otherwise you can exit this page ‘cause you must think I got my job through sheer luck or previous experience. Let’s go!
Yes or No?
- Most probably nothing will happen unless you invest effort, time & faith in it and yourself!
- Companies in Egypt have unfulfilled demand for employees!
- There are lots of jobs that require experience, but lots of job that do not!
- There are lots of job offering good salaries, and lots of others that don’t!
- It’s not always easy to get a job and it shouldn’t be: good things don’t come easy anyway!
- People always complain about not being able to get a good job – but even if they aren’t able to get one, you can!
Finding a job is a job!
Someone wise told me this, and I applied it to my job hunting mission. First I asked myself “what is a job?” It is an activity you do, are committed to, and will receive something in return for.
Here we go – I set a simple plan which was mainly about the following points:
- What job preferences am I looking for?
– Company industry
– Job field
– Salary range
– Working environment
*Of course there are many other points you could consider
- Where will I search for jobs?
– Job fairs.
– Websites of interesting companies (TIP: you can send them emails even if there are no jobs published)
– Ask people who I know for available jobs in companies they work for.
– Recruitment websites.
– Social media (Linkedin, Facebook pages, groups & hashtags, Twitter)
*You can find more options, but these were the options I considered in my plan.
And I began my new job (finding a job); I woke up, I started seeking and applying for jobs, I gave myself a break, went back to job hunting, and finally I stopped when I spent a certain quota of hours or when I couldn’t find any more suitable jobs for me.
Not to mention that each offer I applied for took effort and time to read the requirements, fill an application, or write a cover letter.
After few days I started receiving calls even from companies I didn’t apply for. I didn’t refuse any interview, whether the job was interesting or not.
A few weeks later I got a few good offers, plus a few others that didn’t suit my needs.
I accepted the one that suited me best; it came through one of the recruitment websites.
That’s it 😀
In a parallel universe
I may not have gone through all this, and could have just opened that recruitment website by chance one time the day that job was published… I would apply for it and guess what?! I believe I wouldn’t be accepted. Why? Because there wouldn’t have be enough time nor effort invested.
So always remember that (most probably) nothing will work unless you put effort, time & faith in it and in yourself!
Wish you much patience